Before fully going into 2019 I would like to suggest a quick view on what has been published in the field of Turkish and Ottoman Studies during 2018. My previous attempt was quite successfull, and after completing my Ph.D. I decided to restart collecting new published books in a single place in order to have a comprehensive understanding of what is going on in the field. This may somehow play the role of the well forgotten Türkologische Anzeiger (Turkology Annual) Online list. I hope, this could be of support for any scholar of Turkey who wants to get a systematic overview of recent publications. If you have any additions (I’m pretty sure, that there must be many), please, write them in the comments.
So here is the list of English language books published during 2018 in the field of Turkish and Ottoman Studies.
Ottoman Empire (history, culture, society)
- The Last of an Age. The Making and Unmaking of a Sixteenth-Century Ottoman Poet | Sooyong Kim
- Neslishah: The Last Ottoman Princess | Murat Bardakçı
- When the War Came Home. The Ottomans’ Great War and the Devastation of an Empire | Yiğit Akın
- The Proper Order of Things. Language, Power, and Law in Ottoman Administrative Discourses | Heather L. Ferguson
- Waiting for Müteferrika: Glimpses of Ottoman Print Culture | Orlin Sabev
- Bountiful Empire. A History of Ottoman Cuisine | Priscilla Mary Işın
- Negotiating the Ottoman Constitution 1839-1876 | Aylin Koçunyan
- Home Again: Armenian Recipes from the Ottoman Empire | Mari Firkatian
- Piracy and Law in the Ottoman Mediterranean | Joshua M. White
- Disliking Others: Loathing, Hostility, and Distrust in Premodern Ottoman Lands | Ed. by Hakan T. Karateke, H. Erdem Çıpa, Helga Anetshofer
- Talaat Pasha. Father of Modern Turkey, Architect of Genocide | Hans-Lukas Kieser
- The Armenian Legionnaires: Sacrifice and Betrayal in World War I | Susan Paul Pattie
- The Chief Eunuch of the Ottoman Harem. From African Slave to Power-Broker | Jane Hathaway
- Ottoman Rule of Law and the Modern Political Trial. The Yildiz Case | Avi Rubin
- Forms and institutions of justice. Legal actions in Ottoman contexts | Yavuz Aykan et Işık Tamdoğan (éd.)
- A History of Ottoman Political Thought up to the Early Nineteenth Century | Marinos Sariyannis
- Islands of the Ottoman Empire | Antonis Hadjikyriacou
- Istanbul – Kushta – Constantinople | Ed. by Ch. Herzog, R. Wittmann
- Caliphate Redefined. The Mystical Turn in Ottoman Political Thought | H. Yılmaz
- The Relocation Trials in Occupied Istanbul | F. Ata
- Ottoman Explorations of the Nile Evliya Çelebi’s Map of the Nile and The Nile Journeys in the Book of Travels (Seyahatname) | R. Dankoff, N. Tezcan, M. Sheridan
- A Nomad’s Art; Kilims of Anatolia | S. B. Krody
Republic of Turkey
- Party Politics in Turkey. A Comparative Perspective | Ed. by Sabri Sayarı, Pelin Ayan Musil, Özhan Demirkol
- Promethean Encounters. Representation of the Intellectual in the Modern Turkish Novel of the 1970s | Burcu Alkan
- The United States and Military Coups in Turkey and Pakistan. Between Conspiracy and Reality | Ömer Aslan
- Faith and Fashion in Turkey: Consumption, Politics and Islamic Identities | Nazli Alimen
- Multiculturalism in Turkey. The Kurds and the State | Durukan Kuzu
- Nazism, the Holocaust, and the Middle East. Arab and Turkish Responses | Ed. by Francis R. Nicosia, Boğaç A. Ergene
- Hotels and Highways. The Construction of Modernization Theory in Cold War Turkey | Begüm Adalet
- Translating the Counterculture. Translating the Counterculture The Reception of the Beats in Turkey | Erik Mortenson
- Nation-Building in Modern Turkey: The “People’s Houses”, the State and the Citizen | Alexandros Lamprou
- Alevism as an Ethno-Religious Identity: Contested Boundaries | Ed. by Celia Jenkins, Suavi Aydin, Umit Cetin
- Authoritarianism and Resistance in Turkey: Conversations on Democratic and Social Challenges | Ed. by Esra Özyürek, Gaye Özpınar, Emrah Altındiş
- Political Behavior and the Emotional Citizen. Participation and Reaction in Turkey | Cengiz Erisen
- Rojava. Revolution, War and the Future of Syria’s Kurds | Thomas Schmidinger
- Ethnic Boundaries in Turkish Politics. The Secular Kurdish Movement and Islam | Zeki Sarigil
- Identity, Conflict and Politics in Turkey, Iran and Pakistan | Ed. by Gilles Dorronsoro, Olivier Grojean
- Conspiracy Theory in Turkey: Democracy, Protest and the Modern State | Julian de Medeiros
- Sexual Politics in Muslim Societies: Studies from Palestine, Turkey, Malaysia and Indonesia | Ed. by Pınar İlkkaracan, Rima Athar
- Turkey’s Kurdish Question from an Educational Perspective | Adem İnce
- Humanism in Ruins. Entangled Legacies of the Greek-Turkish Population Exchange| Aslı Iğsız
- Contested Spaces in Contemporary Turkey: Environmental, Urban and Secular Politics | Ed. by Fatma Müge Göçek
- The Kurds. An Encyclopedia of Life, Culture, and Society | Sebastian Maisel
- Kurdish Bedirhani Family in Imperial and Post-Imperial Contexts – Continuities and Changes | Barbara Henning
- Insurgency and Counter-Insurgency in Turkey. The New PKK | Spyridon Plakoudas
- America and the Making of Modern Turkey: Science, Culture and Political Alliances | Ali Erken
- Investigating Turkey: Detective Fiction and Turkish Nationalism, 1928–1945 | David Mason
- Anatomy of a Civil War: Sociopolitical Impacts of the Kurdish Conflict in Turkey | Mehmet Gurses
- Dark Pasts. Changing the State’s Story in Turkey and Japan | Jennifer M. Dixon
- Turkey’s July 15th Coup: What Happened and Why | M. Hakan Yavuz, Bayram Balcı
- Humanist Mystics. Nationalism and the Commemoration of Saints in Turkey | Mark Soileau
- The Justice and Development Party in Turkey. Populism, Personalism, Organization | T. Sinan Baykan
- Naming and Nation-building in Turkey. The 1934 Surname Law | M. Türköz
- Kemalism. Transnational Politics in the Post Ottoman World | Ed. N. Clayer, F. Giomi, E. Szurek
Ph.D., Assistant professor, Yerevan State University
Head of Turkey’s Studies Department,
Armenian Research and Development Institute (ARDI)
1. Konstruiert, Instrumentalisiert, Politisiert: Geschichte im Fadenkreuz der armenischen Lobby by Brendon J. Cannon (2018)
[The German Translation of Legislating Reality and Politicizing History: Contextualizing Armenian Claims of Genocide Hardcover (2016) with 2 new chapters]
2. The Relocation Trials in Occupied Istanbul by Ferudun Ata (2018) [The English translation of İşgal İstanbul’unda Tehcir Yargılamaları]
As the list is comprised of English-language publications only the 2nd book was added. Thank you!
A Nomad’s Art: Kilims of Anatolia by Sumru Belger Krody, Walter Denny, Kimberly Hart, and Serife Atlihan. Published by George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum, Washington, DC.
Thank you! Added!
Thanks for sharing on H-Turk; this is an excellent resource. While looking up one of these books I came across another that I didn’t see on your list: Naming and nation-building in Turkey : the 1934 surname law / Meltem Türköz. Thanks again!
Thank you for your comment!
Your suggested book is added!
You might wish to add:
Robert Dankoff, Nuran Tezcan and Michael D. Sheridan, Ottoman Explorations of the Nile: Evliya Çelebi’s ‘Matchless Pearl These Reports of the Nile’ map and his accounts of the Nile and the Horn of Africa in The Book of Travels. London: Gingko Library, 2018.
Thank you! Added.
Thank you for sharing this list. It is very comprehensive.